Award-winning studio Irrational Games, best known for its BioShock franchise, is looking for talented, experienced game designers to help craft the experience on our current project, BioShock Infinite.
- Work with our design tools to build encounters and narrative scenes.
- Coordinate with artists and programmers to create levels that are second to none in the industry.
- Analyze and critique game designs and levels.
- Work with the team to form a “vision” of your levels and use that vision to inform your design decisions.
- Communicate that vision clearly and concisely to the rest of the team.
- Provide a receptive ear so that other team members can offer input on the game design.
- Respond to feedback from Leads and Directors in a timely fashion.
- Help us push our development tools further by identifying issues and presenting ideas for solutions.
- Seek out all available information on your area of responsibility (reference films, books, etc.) and be able to respond to spontaneous inquiries on the matter.
- Critique all aspects of the game and offer suggestions on how to improve them.
- Be familiar with the current state of game design across a wide range of genres on both PC and console.
- Constantly look for opportunities to improve and expand your skill set.
- Become an expert in our toolset.
- Seize opportunities to assist others and help elevate the project.
- Minimum of 1-2 shipped AAA game titles
- 3+ years of experience creating first-person levels using Unreal, Quake, Half-Life, or similar technologies for commercial titles. (This must be demonstrated through actual levels created for these engines.)
- Interest in and understanding of architecture, lighting, texturing, and other elements that are required to create aesthetically pleasing 3D levels.
- Familiar with BioShock and other 2K Boston/Irrational products and able to speak critically about them.
- Understanding of contemporary 3D first-person engine technologies and editing tools.
- Understanding of and desire to create first-person shooter gameplay.
- High degree of creativity, enthusiasm, and passion.
- Ability to use basic programming or scripting tools.
- Ability to work and contribute effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Good communication skills.
- Unreal Engine experience is preferred.
- Narrative design experience is preferred.
When Applying for this Position:
Please remember to include video, screenshots, or saved games for levels that you created in the past. Game-design documents, writing samples, and/or game analysis should be submitted as appropriate.