Award-winning studio Irrational Games, best known for its BioShock franchise, is seeking a highly experienced Design Manager to serve as a team leader and design advocate for our world-class design team. The Design Manager’s primary responsibility is to schedule, lead, and manage the design team on a day-to-day basis. This role oversees the staffing, organization, and professional development of the game design department.
- The Design Manager’s primary responsibility is to schedule, lead and manage the design team on a day to day basis.
- Work with the Designers and Creative Director to manage and communicate the overall vision and design goals of the game to the studio at large.
- Work closely with management to maintain a strong department with a high level of engagement and steady team satisfaction.
- Ensure that design deliverables meet quality and consistency standards across the team.
- Work with Designers to facilitate the creation of game-design documentation from inception through implementation.
- Work with producers on design scheduling and staff assignments based on project needs.
- Ensure that design deliverables meet a high level of quality and timeliness.
- Work with other department managers and directors to ensure effective cross-department communication.
- Evaluate effectiveness of processes and make recommendations for improvement.
- Seek out, evaluate, and implement feedback from all relevant sources to constantly improve the game.
- Mentor and shape design team to foster one cohesive group dedicated to creating the best possible game experiences. Guide team members with training as well as development and career goals.
- Write reviews for and handle administration of Design Leads.
- 6+ years as a game designer in the video game industry.
- 4+ years of experience managing direct reports.
- Shipped a minimum of 3 game titles from pre-production through ship.
- Proven knowledge of game design, theory, and execution.
- A strong passion for and experience with first-person shooters.
- Ability to motivate a team with positive leadership.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- The ability to quickly learn new engines and game technologies.
- Strong design-documentation skills.
- Strong understanding of the Unreal engine in a multiplatform environment.
- Previous level-design experience or alternatively previous systems-design experience in a first-person shooter.
- Ability to visually represent abstract concepts.