Over the past ten days we’ve been counting down to the first public release of BioShock Infinite gameplay footage. That ten-minute demonstration video is now showing on Xbox Live. Tomorrow, it will be released here on IrrationalGames.com and across the web.
Here’s a recap of the past week and a half of crucial BioShock Infinite information. Keep it in mind as you watch the gameplay demonstration, and you’ll have a deeper understanding about what you’re seeing and how the world of Columbia works:
- Columbia is a living, breathing society whose citizens will respond to you in diverse–and unpredictable–ways.
- In BioShock Infinite, you play a defined, fleshed-out character: former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt.
- Your companion character Elizabeth aids you in combat–but only if and when you want her to.
- BioShock Infinite is set during a formative time in American history, as the country was exploding onto the world stage.
- Sky-Lines can be used for both movement and combat, significantly expanding your tactical opportunities.
- Combat can involve many enemies at one time, with a much broader range of encounters than the original BioShock.
- BioShock Infinite is built on a new engine, with none of Irrational’s code or assets from previous BioShock games remaining.
- Irrational sees “BioShock” as more than just one setting–and the implications of that will become more and more clear over time.
- Columbia is composed of semi-autonomous floating buildings which have a wealth of unique gameplay properties.
- Two factions battle for control over Columbia, the status quo-enforcing powers that be, and the internationalist Vox Populi.